Accepting and declining your financial aid
If you have been offered a Federal College Work-Study Position and/or a Federal Subsidized/Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, you must accept, decline or accept partial amounts of these awards. Please refer to the instructions below for accepting/declining these financial aid awards.
Note: If you use the my.alfredstate.edu portal to log in to Banner Web please skip to step 3.
- Click the link "Home" above and then click "Continue", then "Enter Secure Area"
Login: Enter your user ID number or Social Security Number (i.e. 999999999) and your login PIN. Your initial PIN number is a random set of six characters and numbers that you received in a paper letter or an email message to your Alfred State account. Once you have successfully logged in you will use the PIN you created.
IMPORTANT FOR FIRST TIME USERS!
Once you log in, you will be asked to create a new PIN and set up a security question and answer. The question and answer will help you access your account if you ever forget your PIN.
NOTE: WHEN CREATING YOUR NEW LOGIN PIN BE SURE TO MAKE IT EASY TO REMEMBER. The PIN must be six digits in the form of characters/numbers or any combination thereof. It is advisable to use words, not numbers or dates for your security question and answer.
THIS PIN MUST BE USED WHENEVER YOU LOG IN TO THE SECURE AREA OF BANNER WEB TO REGISTER FOR CLASSES, PROCESS YOUR BILL, REQUEST TRANSCRIPTS, PRINT UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS, CHANGE MAILING ADDRESS, CHECK YOUR GRADES, ETC.
- Click "Student Services & Financial Aid".
- Click "Financial Aid".
- Click "My Award Information".
- Click "Accept Award Offer by Aid Year".
- Click the drop down box and select the appropriate Financial Aid year. Click "Submit".
- Select the "Terms and Conditions" tab.
- Click the blue terms and conditions link to read the document. When finished reading hit the back arrow on your web browser. Click "Accept".
- Select the "Accept Award Offer" tab.
- Follow instructions listed on the screen.
- Click "Submit Decision".
- IMPORTANT! New and Returning Students who accepted loans as part of their aid package must refer to the following instructions to initiate the loan processes. Returning students who completed a Master Promissory Note (MPN) in a prior academic year DO NOT need to complete another MPN. They only need to accept the loan offer on BannerWeb.
APPLYING FOR FEDERAL LOANS AND WORK STUDY
- Electronically accept on Banner Web (All Students).
- Complete Federal Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling and the Federal Direct Master Promissory Note (New & Transfer Students) at www.alfredstate.edu/my-finaid, then click on "Federal Loans" and follow the instructions for Federal Direct Stafford Loan.
- New parent borrowers must obtain a new credit decision - go to www.alfredstate.edu/my-finaid, click on "Federal Loans" and then follow the instructions for Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan.
- If denied, contact the Student Records and Financial Services Office for information on additional student loan eligibility. IMPORTANT! PLUS loans may not be used as a credit on the student’s bill until an approved loan decision is received in the Student Records and Financial Services Office.
- Students who are offered a Federal Nursing Student Loan will be notified by e-mail with instructions on the procedures to accept the Federal Nursing Loan.
- First-time borrowers will receive a paper Nursing Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) from Alfred State Student Records and Financial Services Office. IMPORTANT! Returning students who completed a Nursing Loan MPN in the previous academic DO NOT need to complete another MPN unless they had a gap in their attendance.
- If offered, electronically accept on Banner Web. (All Students)
- Students who accept CWSP on Bannerweb will need to register and log-in to the Alfred State College Career Development JobLink available at www.alfredstate.edu. JobLink displays all CWSP positions available and the student will need to apply online through JobLink and follow the instructions.
- Any student who applies for a CWSP position through JobLink will need to provide a CWSP Referral Form as proof of eligibility for a position to their prospective supervisor. The form is located in the student's BannerWeb account if they have accepted their CWSP award.
Loans not approved will not be available as a credit for the student bill. Students will need to make arrangements to pay their bill and will be reimbursed after all aid is finalized and received by Alfred State College.
Procedures subject to change without notice