How to Web Register
If you are a continuing student, you must meet with your academic adviser prior to registering via the web.
- Click the link "Home" above and then click "Continue", then "Enter Secure Area"
Login: Enter your Student ID Number as printed on your deposit form or student ID card (You can also log on using your Social Security Number as your ID) and your login PIN (Personal Identification Number).
IMPORTANT FOR FIRST TIME USERS! The first time you log in to Banner Web, your login PIN is a random set of six characters and numbers that you received in a paper letter or an email message to your Alfred State Account. After you enter your user ID and PIN, you will be asked to create a new login PIN (six characters). Be sure to make your new PIN something that is easy for you to remember, as it may be used in the future for many other purposes. This screen will ask you to re-enter your initial PIN, enter your new six character PIN, and verify your new PIN. Once you have entered all three values click "Login". Next, you will be asked for a Login Verification Security Question and Answer. Enter a personal question such as your mother's Maiden name, or the street address where you grew up, and provide the appropriate answer. This question and answer is used to access your account in case you forget your PIN. Make sure this question is easy for you to remember, and difficult for others to know. Agree to the terms of usage by clicking the "continue" button.
- Click on: "Student Services & Financial Aid" then "Registration". New Freshman - You can obtain a copy of your first semester curriculum sheet by clicking on "New Freshman First Semester Curriculum Sheet". This lists the required first semester courses. NOTE: If you are an ASOP student select the curriculum sheet for ASOP. EOP students should contact the learning center at 607-587-4122 for assistance with registering. Continuing Students - before proceeding, you should meet with/contact your academic adviser to obtain your Registration Authorization Code.
- New Freshman - Click on "Freshman Math and English Recommendation", "Select Term", and click on "Submit Term". Write down the courses that have been recommended for you. If you have transfer or AP credit and we have received the official transcripts they will appear on this screen. Scroll down and click on "Add/Drop Classes".
- If you know the CRN's (course registration numbers) you can enter them in the boxes at the bottom of the page and click on "Submit Changes". Otherwise , you must use the "Class Search" feature. Scroll down and click on "Class Search", select the Subject you are registering for (i.e. NURS-Nursing, CIAT-Computer Imaging and Architectural Technology.) Enter the Course Number, scroll down, and click on "Class Search". Select the section you wish to register for by clicking in the box to the left of the course number and click on "Register" at the bottom of the page. If a course is full it will not show when you do a class search. You can verify this by going to "Class Schedule" (real-time data), a link found prior to entering the secure area. Remember some courses consist of a lecture and lab, which are linked (A1, A2.) You have to select both the lecture and lab at the same time or you will receive a link error. Nursing has 5 links. Your courses and any errors that prevented registration will be displayed. Scroll down the screen to check your registration. Correct your registration errors. (See below for details on most common errors.) If you are an Applied Technology (Wellsville) student and are having problems, please contact Barb Davis at the Wellsville Dean's office at (607) 587-3101
- Now that you are registered, scroll down and click on "Student Schedule by Day and Time" to view your schedule. You may print your schedule to the connected printer by clicking on "Print" from your Web browser menu. This is a TENTATIVE SCHEDULE, subject to change.
- Parts-of-Term classes are classes that do not meet for the full 15-week semester. If you have registered for a class with a Part-of-Term other than “1,” you must print more than one copy of your schedule to get all of the needed information. On the bottom of the screen showing your class schedule ("Student Schedule by Day and Time"), there will be a place to click on the class with an alternate Part-of-Term. Click on "Part-of-Term" and a new schedule will appear with this course included and the appropriate dates.
- Carefully check your registration. You are responsible for the accuracy of your registration.
- To logout: click "Exit". Click "Return to Homepage". Close your web browser to secure your records.
COMMON ERROR MESSAGES
TIME CONFLICT– course times overlap. Register for the course you prefer. See the instructor for permission to register for the course that conflicts – then go to the Registrar's Office to process the permission. (Note: this error message might print on the bottom portion of your schedule even though there is no apparent time conflict – if this is the case the message usually means that the course has more than one classroom listed and is really not an error – you may double-check this at the Registrar's Office.)
CLOSED COURSE– this section is full. Register for another section or course.
LINK ERROR– you have registered for a lab or lecture section without the corresponding lecture or lab. Use the Add Class area to add BOTH the lecture and lab sections.
PREREQUISITE ERROR– the system says you have not taken (or are not currently registered for) the required prerequisite for this course. Contact your academic adviser for further direction.
- Use the Return to Menu button to move between screens. DO NOT USE THE BACK BUTTON or you will be logged off. If this happens, simply login again.>
- Three failed attempts to log in will disable your PIN. If this occurs, contact the Alfred State College Help Desk by calling (607) 587-(HELP) or e-mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you try to access a menu option and receive the message Request failed, click the Back button ONCE and try again.